Luke Chapter 18
Part Two: Parable of the Pharisee and the Tax Collector
Read Luke 18:9-14
Verse 9- Who is Jesus talking to here? The Pharisees
Verse 10 -a tax collector - Read Luke 5:30 - the tax collectors were so despised that they
had a "sin" category all their own
Verses 11-12 - was praying "to himself'
- his prayer was all about himself
- how "good" he is compared to other people
- what he does -Read Luke 16:15
Verse 13 - in contrast to the Pharisee, the tax collector:
- had a fear of God (did not look up) -----------------the Pharisee had no reverence for God
- asked for God's mercy---------------the Pharisee gave no acknowledgment of God's
goodness or mercy. He had no remorse and felt no
need to repent of anything.
The tax collector honored God as God. He recognized his own sinfulness and was remorseful
(repentant). He acknowledged his need for God in his life.
Verse 14 - this was also stated back in Luke 14: 11, when Jesus was watching the Pharisees at a
banquet, picking the places of honor at the table