Luke Chapter 20
Part Two: Jesus and the Sadducees
Read Luke 20:27-47
Verse 27 - Who were the Sadducees? Another sect (like the Pharisees), who were also part of the
Jewish leadership class (Sanhedrin)
Verse 33 - in the resurrection- this was another attempt at trying to trap Jesus in His words (they
did not believe in the resurrection)
Verse 35 -those who are considered worthy-how can you be considered worthy? Accept Jesus &
the New Covenant
- would the Sadducees have been worthy?
- they do not believe in the resurrection - Read I Cor. 15: 12-17
- belief in the resurrection is fundamental to the Christian faith
- they would have needed to change their mind on the resurrection - within a week of
these events, Jesus own resurrection would have been a witness to them-perhaps
some came to be considered worthy
Verse 36 - angels do not die - we will be like them, in that respect. But angels are angels and
mankind is mankind. The idea that we become angels when we die is false.
Read I Peter 1:12 (speaking of the prophets)
- angels long to look into the redemption of mankind - they were not created with the
need for redemption. We were created with free will - without free will, you cannot truly
love. God wanted us, his family, to love Him freely and truly. That requires a choice on
our part. The angels are God's servants - often tasked with helping us, His children.
- sons of God - Read Gal. 3:26
Verse 37 -Jesus is showing the Sadducees the error of their belief system (no resurrection)
Verse 41 - Jesus asks them a question they cannot answer without getting "stuck" (see v.3)
- David's Son-Remember in chapter 18, how the blind man called Jesus Son of David- a
- if there is no resurrection, how can David live to know the Christ?
Verse 42-from Psalm 110
sit ... until- Jesus is now seated at the right hand of the Father (see Apostles Creed) until He
Verses 46-47 -Jesus warns all the people against the scribes (verse 45 tells us that all were
- He does this in the presence and hearing of those scribes, and no doubt the other Jewish
- these will receive greater condemnation - remember, there are different levels of
-they did things for outward appearance, but were hypocrites